Living with a migraine can be extremely challenging because it affects every part of daily life. Whether we are in school or at work, the likelihood of suffering from a migraine increases when we are exposed to stresses and triggers. One way of preventing a full blown migraine attack is to identify these situations and take necessary precautions.
Here are five common migraine triggers:
1. Stress. Pressure regarding work, family, or school can trigger a migraine because changes to the brain and the body may include dilation of blood vessels and tense muscles.
2. Hormonal changes. Changing estrogen levels in the body can trigger a migraine. For women, this can occur right before the start of monthly menstruation when estrogen levels significantly drop, making a person more sensitive to pain.
3. Environmental factors. Weather changes, bright lights, dusty conditions, and other environmental factors can trigger a migraine. People who are prone to migraines are advised to rest in dark and quiet rooms when they feel the onset of a migraine.
4. Certain foods and drinks. Certain foods and drinks containing additives and preservatives can trigger a migraine. Skipping meals can also trigger an attack, as the body starts producing stress hormones signalling its need to eat.
5. Certain medications. Certain medications, supplements, or pills have side effects that can trigger a migraine because of their direct relation to blood flow.
One way to identify migraine triggers is to start a “migraine journal,” detailing food, events, or medications that have a direct impact on attacks. While migraines are painful, they are manageable. One treatment to alleviate pain is acupuncture.
At ProMedX Sports Injury and Wellness Centre, our licensed staff provides acupuncture services to relieve migraines and other types of pain and improve overall health. For our clinic in Thornhill, Ontario, please call (905) 882-7688 submit a form here.